- Frozen Treats
Appropriately enough, Sugar Momma’s is located in the former Ewald Bakery building. This 1938 photo was taken on the bakery’s opening day. Here’s what the Hermann Advertiser-Courier had to say about the town’s wonderful new bakery:
Ewald Bakery Moves to Beautiful New Home
The formal opening of the Ewald Bakery in Mr. Ewald’s building on Market Street or Highway 19 in Hermann, will be held tomorrow, Saturday, November 19, on which day the proprietor is offering special bargains in pastries to the public. A cordial invitation in extended to people of Hermann and the surrounding territory to visit and inspect this beautiful new building and the business and beauty asset to Hermann.
Designed by H.F. Krueger of Leslie, the bakery is a valuable addition to Hermann; another step towards beauty and efficiency. The construction contract was awarded to Chas Baumstark and son, contractors and builders. The Hermann Lumber Co. furnished the building materials. Plumbing in the building was installed by Hugo Brueggenjohann and the heating system by Binkley Manufacturing Co. of Warrenton. Pleasing to the eye, the new building adds much color to Market Street with its tan-brick front and Carava glass sign.
While the entire front of the two-story building is constructed of tan-colored bricks, the walls of the remaining sides are red brick. The inside of the building is made up of a spacious counter-room on the west-front side of the first floor, with the bakery room occupying the entire east portion. The Ewald Family resides in the five-room living quarters on the second floor. Interior decoration of the entire building is in white.
Although the formal opening of the bakery in its new location is tomorrow, the bakery has been open for business there since Monday after the removal of baking equipment from the former site last Saturday.
Mr. Ewald has been in the bakery business here for the past eleven years, coming here in 1927, after leaving his home in Struckum, Germany, where he learned the bakery business. He worked here for four months before he and his brother, John, bought the Summers Bakery. He and his brother continued in partnership until April, 1936, when Nis bought out his brother’s interest.
Mr. Ewald has spared neither time nor expense in giving this city a fine new bakery and requests the public’s continued good will and patronage.
The mural was designed and painted in June, 2016, as a tribute to the Ewalds. It was a beautiful project of the Wine Country Walldogs.